Fourth quarter 2012
- Net sales amounted to SEK 3 068 million, compared with SEK 2 628 million in the previous quarter. The increase was due to the Korsnäs acquisition.
- Operating profit totalled SEK 25 million. The decline of SEK 136 million from the preceding quarter is mainly attributable to non-recurring and seasonal factors.
- Results for the quarter were charged with non-recurring costs of SEK 102 million. Adjusted to reflect these non-recurring costs, operating profit totalled SEK 127 million.
- Prices in local currency for packaging materials were improved by just below 2% than in the previous quarter due to implementation of earlier announced price increases.
- The acquisition of Korsnäs was completed on 29 November 2012 and a preferential rights issue valued at approximately SEK 2 billion was carried out.
Full year 2012 compared with the same period in 2011
- Net sales amounted to SEK 10 427 million, a rise of 12%.
- Operating profit fell to SEK 489 million, mainly as a result of lower prices in local currency and a less favourable currency situation.
- In all, non-recurring costs amounted to SEK 170 million (10).
- The order situation for the majority of products in the packaging materials segments is expected to remain at normal seasonal levels through the first quarter of 2013.
- Prices in local currency for packaging materials are expected to remain stable in the first quarter of 2013.
- Wood prices in 2013 are expected to be lower than in 2012.
- It is estimated that non-recurring costs of SEK 48 million, arising from a reduction in the surplus value in the inventory of finished products acquired, will be charged to earnings in the first quarter of 2013.
Comments by BillerudKorsnäs’ CEO Per Lindberg:
Eventful quarter rounds off a historic year
“With the finalization of the historic combination between Billerud and Korsnäs, the fourth quarter was an unusually eventful one. We also completed the integration of our paper machines in Finland during the quarter. The integration process at BillerudKorsnäs progresses as planned, and from the next quarter on we will start to report the benefits of our synergies. The synergies for the two acquisitions are estimated at approximately SEK 330 million annually, with full impact from the end of 2015.
Our preferential rights issue was oversubscribed, and we greatly value the firm support we have received from our shareholders. The proceeds of the issue, approximately SEK 2 billion, strengthen our financial position and create scope for us to capture future business opportunities.
While our quarterly results have been charged with a number of extra costs, the underlying operational results for the Group are still stable. Most importantly of all, we remain highly optimistic regarding the future opportunities open to BillerudKorsnäs.”
BillerudKorsnäs’ President and CEO Per Lindberg and CFO Susanne Lithander will present the year-end report at a press and analyst conference at 14.30 CET on Friday 8 February 2013.
Venue: Tändstickspalatset, Västra Trädgårdsgatan 15, Stockholm, Sweden.
For further information, please contact:
Per Lindberg, President and CEO +46 (0)8 553 335 00
Susanne Lithander, CFO, +46 (0)8 553 335 00
Sophie Arnius, Investor Relations & Financial Media Director, +46 (0)70 590 80 72
The information in this report is such that BillerudKorsnäs AB (publ) is obliged to disclose under the Swedish Securities Market Act and was submitted for publication at 12.30 CET on 8 February 2013. This report has been prepared in both a Swedish and an English version. In the event of variations between the two, the Swedish version shall take precedence. The report has not been reviewed by the company’s auditor.
Read more and see the whole year-end report at www.billerudkorsnas.com
BillerudKorsnäs – Packaging manufacturers and brand owners are offered added value in the form of brand-strengthening, productivity-boosting and environment-enhancing packaging solutions. BillerudKorsnäs has a world-leading market position within primary fibre-based packaging paper. The company has annual sales of around SEK 20 billion and is listed on NASDAQ OMX Stockholm.